Colossians 1:17 He is before all things , and in Him all things holds together.
In my last post i talked about Lordship of Jesus Christ and we saw how Jesus was given power to be Lord. We saw just some areas where Lordship of Jesus Christ is evident in the Bible but i cant say i exploited all the areas, more studies and posts in the future will try to dig deeper into all these verses. For now am laying foundation of what to be talked of more in the future, so just ruminate on them.
Today we want to see who Jesus really is, to us, to the world and in heaven, Where Jesus started and if at all there is an end to Jesus then we will see in the Bible.
To usher in this topic, I will point out areas in the Bible that explains who Jesus really is which will in turn explain His duty on earth and in heaven as well. People have argued that Jesus was not mentioned in Old Testament, is it true? Did Jesus just appear in New testament from nowhere? Was Jesus there at creation time?
Lets see what the Bible says;
- Was Jesus mentioned(Present) at creation? John 1:1-15 In the beginning there was the word and the word was with God, and the word was God. He was with God in the beginning….yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God. Here Jesus is refer to as “The Word” and it explains very well that Jesus was with God during creation. If we read Genesis 1:26 it says. Then God said, “let us make man in our own image, in our own likeness…..” We all can see the plural form in that verse, “US” Not “ME” meaning Jesus the word, was with God at Creation.
- Jesus is the beginning and the end. From what we have seen above in point No.1, we can now see Jesus was there in the beginning during creation. So John tells us hat Jesus was there during creation and the Bible says in John1:3 Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. Further to that, if we read Revelation 22:13 says that Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, beginning and the end.
- Jesus Our redeemer. Isaiah the prophet also talked of Jesus in several chapters which explains who Jesus is and what He will come to do way before He comes. Isaiah 53 1) He took our infirmities and carried our sorrows (V4), 2)Pieced for our transgressions and crushed for our iniquities and by His wounds we are healed(v5).
- firstborn over all creation. There are many verses where we can see firstborn. For example: Ephraim son of Joseph is refered to as firstborn even though Manasseh was the firstborn(Jer. 31:9), David was appointed Lord’s firstborn even though of the children fo Jesse he was the youngest(Psalm 89:27). David and Ephrahim were firsborn in essence of preeminence but Jesus was firstborn over all creation.
- Jesus is the Resurrection & the Life. I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live even though he dies…(John 11:25)
- Jesus is Eternal King. Isaiah 9:7
- Jesus is the Captain of our Salvation. 1John 2:2-He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins…. Romans 6:23-For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. 1 Peter 2:24, Luke 1:69, Luke 2:11
- Jesus Our Mediator. 1 Timothy 2:5-For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
- Jesus is God’s Elect. Isaiah 42:1–Here is my servant , whom i uphold, my chosen one….
- Jesus is King of Kings and Lord of Lords-Romans 14:9,1 Tim. 6:15-..which God will bring about in His own time-God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
- Jesus is Son of God. John 1:14, Mathew 12:16
- Jesus the Way, the Truth and the Life. John 14:6–Jesus answered, I am the way, and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
There may be a lot of things which tells who Jesus is but for today these are the ones have pointed out to help us understand Him. I pray that God gives us time to explore together deeply into knowing who Jesus is.
May God bless you with understanding of His word.